Annual Report 2013-14
S.N.MUDBIDRI POLYTECHNIC, MOODBIDRI (D.K)
ANNUAL REPORT 2013-14
Esteemed President of our annual day celebration function, Sri K.Abhayachandra, Chairman of Governing Council of S.N.M.P., our distinguished Chief Guest of this morning, Dr.G.K.Prabhu,Registrar of Manipal University, Our Alumni representative Mr. Krishna Anand M.K., esteemed members of our Management, Heads and faculty of other Institutions of the campus, beloved colleagues, members of Press & Media, office bearers of the Students Council, office bearers and members of Alumni association, my dear students, ladies and gentlemen, I am privileged to present before you this 30th Annual Report of our institution for the academic year 2013-14 on this occasion.
S.N.M.Polytechnic named after the great Philanthropist Late S.N.Mudbidri, was established in the year 1984 with a noble intension of providing technical education to the deprived rural youth to alleviate poverty of this region. This Polytechnic is managed jointly by S.M.C Trust, Moodbidri and The Academy of General Education, Manipal.
This Polytechnic is affiliated to the Board of Technical Examinations, Bangalore and is one of the reputed Polytechnics in our State. The Diploma Courses offered in this institution are approved by All Indica Council for Technical Education, New Delhi.
Our Polytechnic offers three year’s Diploma courses in various disciplines namely, Automobile Engineering, Electronics & Communication Engineering, Electrical & Electronics Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, and Mechatronics Engineering. Out of these 7 Diploma Courses three courses namely Automobile Engg, E&C Engg and E&E are govt. aided Courses.
The admissions for the first year Doploma in the unaided Courses for filling up the management seats in Diploma in Computer Science Engg, Mechanical Engg, Civil Engg, and Mechatronics Engg were made in our Polytechnic during the months of May, June and July 2013 in our Polytechnic. Admissions for the aided courses namely Automobile Engineering, Electronics & Communication Engineering and Electrical & Electronics Engineering were made through online counseling through the nodel Centre, Karnataka Polytechnic, Mangalore. 177 students were admitted under Govt quota to the Govt. aided courses, and 169 students were admitted to the unaided courses. Besides this 19 students have taken admissions under SNQ quota. 14 ITI passed students have been admitted to second year under lateral entry during this academic year. The present student strength of the Polytechnic is 834.
We have all necessary infrastructures, including trained and qualified faculty members. At present 30 B.E. graduates, 1 Science graduate, 5 post graduates,1 Doctorate, 5 diploma holders in the cadre of Lecturers, 7 Diploma holders in the cadre of Instructors, 2 Junior Instructors, 1 Mechanic, 1 Diploma holder in the cadre of System Administrator, 1 Librarian and 20 supporting staff altogether 74 permanent staff members are working here. Steps are already taken to fill 11 backlog vacancies and the approval is obtained from the Dept. of Higher education, Govt. of Karnataka.
I recognize the services of Mrs.Nimitha K.S., Mr. Pramod Shetty, Mrs. Sumalatha, Mr. Sadashiva and Mr. Udaya Lecturers who have left our institution during this academic year.
On this occasion I would like to welcome the staff members namely, Mr. Guruprasad Prabhu M., Mr. Anudep K.S., Mr. Ramesh Rao B., Mr. Uttam P.U., Miss Preethi, Mr. Arul Leonard Miranda, Miss.Sowjanya, Mr. Kumareshwar Rathod and Mr.Kiran Y., who have joined our institution during this academic year.
Laboratories & Workshops:-
We have well equipped workshops and laboratories in all the departments. As per the norms of A.I.C.T.E., New Delhi, we have set up separate computer laboratories for each Department. All the necessary equipments have been procured as per A.I.C.T.E. norms. To tune ourselves to the changing technology our laboratories are updated by providing additional laboratory equipments and furnitures amounting to Rs 3,27,487/- during the year under report. We have set up language laboratories for the use of both staff and students.
Library and Reading Room facility is available for the benefit of staff and students of this Polytechnic. At present we have 10986 volumes of technical books. We have purchased text books for our library and for reading room facility worth Rs. 39,238/- during this academic year. In addition to the text books, 26 national and international technical journals, several technical and non magazines, Kannada, English and Malayalam newspapers and monthly/ fortnightly magazines are also provided for the use of our staff & students to update their knowledge. Book bank facility is available in our library for the use of our students. We extend the facility of drawing boards to all the students.
To nurture leadership qualities the following office bearers of the Students Council were elected for this academic year, in the election held on 21 st August 2013.
1. President : Mr. Karthik G., III D.A.E.
2. Vice President : Mr. Akarsh Shetty M.S., III D.M.E.
3. Secretary : Mr. Pavan Kumar M., III D.C.S
4. Joint Secretary : Mr. Vikesha Shetty, III D.E & E.
5. Sports Secretary : Mr. Adithya A.V., III D.C.E.
6. Cultural Secretary : Mr. Sharan D., III DM.E
Students’ performance in the semester examinations.
Results of the even semesters
Out of 862 students appeared for the examinations 100 students passed with Distinction, 258 students passed in I Class, 33 students passed in II Class, and 304 students promoted to third and fifth semesters, and the overall percentage is 81%..
Results of odd semesters
Out of 819 students appeared for the examinations 80 students passed with Distinction 272 students passed in I Class, and 44 students passed in II Class, and 423 students were promoted to 2nd, 4th and 6th semester classes.
Staff meeting &release of Annual Magazine Impressions:
A meeting of all the teaching and non-teaching staff members was convened on the 1st July 2013 Sri S D Sampath Samrajya, Dy. Chairman, Governing Council of S N M Polytechnic was present during the meeting. On this occasion, Annual Magazine “ Impressions 2012-13 ” was released by Sri S. D. Sampath Samrajya. Various committee heads, various club coordinators and academic advisors for the academic year 2013-14 were introduced.
Achievements/ activities of staff members:
· Sri. R.Ganeshan, H.O.D of Automobile Engineering and Sri Dhavalakeerthi H.O.D. of E&E Engg, were appointed as Deputy Chief Superintendant of examinations to conduct semester examinations at Prasanna Polytechnic, Ujire and Dr.T.M.A.Pai Polytechnic, Manipal respectively.
· Sri Mallikarjuna G.,Lect. In Science was appointed as Chief Obsserver and I.A. Verifier at K.I.T.Polytechnic, Kundapur.
· Sri Chandra K.H., Lecturer in E&C Engg was appointed as Obsserver and I.A. Verifier at Dr.T.M.A.Pai Polytechnic, Manipal.
· Sri Sudarshan P. Kini, Lecturer in E&E Engg was appointed as Deputy Chief Superintendant of examinations, and I.A.Verfifier at S.D.M.Technical Institute Polytechnic, Ujire.
· Sri Suresh D.B. Lecturer in Automobile Engineering attended a workshop on “ National Vocational Qualification Frame Work ” held on 7th June 2013 at Rashtrakavi Kuvempu Kalakshetra, Bangalore
· Sri Gurudas S.P. Lecturer in E&C Engg attended a short term training programme on “ Embedded Systems, 8051 Microcontroller & PIC 2148 Arm Controller” from 24th June to 5th July 2013 at N.I.T.T.T.R., Chennai.
· Sri Vishwanath K.,. Lecturer in E&C Engg attended a short term training programme on “ Advanced Communication ” from 19th to 23 rd August 2013 held at N.I.T.T.T.R., Chennai
· Sri Vinayachandra K., Lecturer in Auto Engg attended a short term training programme on “Modern Trends in Automobile Technology” from 26th to 30th August 2013.held at N.I.T.T.T.R., Chennai.
· Sri Davalakeerthi, Selection Grade Lecturer in E&E Engg, attended a short term training programme on “Instructional Design & Delivery System” from 16th to 20th September 2013 at National Institute of Technical Teachers’ Training and Research, Chennai.
· Sri Venkatesh Prahu M., Selection Grade Lecturer in Science, attended a short term training programme on “E-Content and Learning Management Systems” from 28th October to 1st November 2013, at National Institute of Technical Teachers’ Training and Research, Chennai.
· Our teaching staff members attended the valuation works held at Karnataka Polytechnic, Mangalore during the months of June and December 2013.
· Sri R.Ganeshan, Selection Grade Lecturer in Automobile Engineering, Sri Surendra Kava, Lecturer in Automobile Engineering, Sri Harish Thantri M., Lecturer in E&E Engineering attended a two weeks’ training programme on “ Instruction Design, Delivery System, and Students Evaluation” held from 31 st December 2013 to 9th January 2014 at S.J.Polytechnic, Bangalore.
· Smt. Rajeshwari K.N, and Smt. Vidya Y.M. Lecturers in E& C Engineering attended short term training programme on “ Computer Basics, CAD & MAT Lab ” from 16th to 25th January 2014, held at Karnataka Polytechnic, Mangalore.
· In order to imporove the results our faculty members Sri Suresh Bhandary, Sri Jackson Andrade, Sri Nagashayana S.H., from the Department of Mechanical Engg, Mrs. Divya Shenoy, Sri Varun Kumar, Miss. Rashmi K., Sri Sushanth G.Hegde, Sri Arul Leonard Miranda from the Department of Mechatronics Engg, Sri Vishwanath K.,Sri Chandra K.H., Smt. Rajeshwari K.N.,Smt. Vidya Y.M., Smt. Jyothi from the Department of E&C Engg, Sri Krishnaraja S., Miss. Sowjanya, and Miss. Swathi Shetty, from the Department of Computer Science Engg, Sri Dhavalakeerthi, Sri Sudarshan P. Kini, Sri Harish Thantri M., Smt. Noronha Tarina Rita, Sri Ramprasad M., Misss. Akshatha N.M.,from the Dept. of E&E Engg, Sri R.Ganeshan, Sri Suresh D.B., Sri Vinayachandra K., Sri Venkatesh Prabhu M., Sri Rajendra M., Sri Mallikarjuna G., Miss. Priya H.S. from the Department of Maths & Science have taken up the remedial classes to the students of all branches from 3rd February 2014 onwards.
· Sri Mallikarjuna G., Selection Grade Lecturer in Science attended a training programme on “ Gender Issues in Technical Education ” from 10th to 14th February 2014 held at N.I.T.T.T.R., Chennai.
· Sri Harish Thantri M., Lecturer in E&E Engg attended a training programme on “ Electrical System for Wind and Solar Energy ” from 24th to 28 th February 2014 held at N.I.T.T.T.R., Chennai.
· In connection with the 37th Inter Polytechnic Athletic meet two meetings were convened by the Directorate of Technical Education, Bangalore at Govt. Poytechnic for Women, Mangalore. Smt. Rajeshwari K.N., Lecturer in E&C Engg and Sri Dhavalakeerthi, Selection Grade Lecturer in E&E Engg attended the meetings held on 7th February and 21st February 2014 respectively.
· Dr.S.P.Gurudas, Lecturer in E&C Engg was deputed to the Govt Polytechnic for Women, Mangalore to attend his duties as a member of Entertainment Committee (ªÀÄ£ÀgÀAd£Á ¸À«Äw) during the 37th Inter Polytechnic Athletic Meet held between 1st and 2nd March 2014.
· Our faculty members Sri Ganesh Bhat P.V., H.O.D. of Civil Engineering, Sri Vishwanath K., Lecturer in E&C Engg, Sri Dhavalakeerthi, Selection Grade Lecturer in E&E Engg, Sri Mallikarjuna G., Selection Grade Lecturer in Science, Sri Sudarshan P.Kini, Lecturer in E&E Engg, Sri Imran Khan, Lecturer in English, and Sri Nagashayana S.H., Lecturer in Mechanical Engg attended the revaluation work of semester Nov/Dec 2013 Examinations held at M.E.I. Polytechnic, Bangalore from 1st March 2014.
· Spoken Tutorial classes are held regularly in our institutin with the help of IIT, Bombay. Smt. Noronha Tarina Rita, Sl.Grade Lecturer in E&E Engg is the co-ordinator
· Staff meetings are conducted every month. Various academic and non-academic matters are discussed and the decisions are taken on consensus. I thank all the teaching and non-teaching staff members for their participation and valuable suggestions in the smooth functioning of this Polytechnic
- Special achievements :
a. Sri J.J.Pinto, Principal was awarded a Meritorious Certification along with a cash award of Rs.5,000/- by National Institute of Technical Teachers Training & Research, Chandigarh (Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India) for securing highest percentage in M.Tech (Engineering Education) during the years from 2008 to 2011 under modular scheme on 7th September 2013 at Chandigarh.
b. Sri Mahaveera College Trust, Moodbidri has appointed Sri J.J.Pinto, Principal of S.N.M.Polytechnic, as the Chief warden of both S.M.C. Boys Hostel, and S.M.C.Hostel for Women, from this academic year.
Students’ activities and achievements :-
· The Annual Day Celebrations for the year 2012-13 were held on 23rd March 2013. Sri Anand Kumar S.K., Managing Director, Master Plannery, Puttur was the Chief Guest. Mr. M.Sandeep Bhandary, Partner, Karavali Switch Gears, Mangalore was the Alumni Representative. Sri K.Abhayachandra, Chairman of Governing Council of S.N.M.Polytechnic, presided over the function.
· The Activities of MTX club for this academic year were inaugurated by Sri Vinod Kumar, Asst.Prof, Dept. of Mechatronics and Mechanical Engineering, Mangalore Insttitute of Technology, Moodbidri on 23rd August 2013. Sri J.J.Pinto, Principal, Miss.Divya Shenoy, HOD, Dept. of Mechatronics Engg., M.T.X. Club, SNM Polytechnic were present. The office bearers are for the academic year 2013-14 are :-
o Chair Person: Ms. Divya Shenoy, H.O.D.of Mechatronics Engg
o President: Mr. Ranjan Shenoy, III DMC
o Vice President: Mr. Jevince Pais II DMC
o Secretary: Mr. Mohammed Saleem Javed., III DMC
o Treasurer: Mr. Rovin Cardoza ll DMC
o Coordinator: Mr. Varun Kumar, Lecturer in Mechatronics Engg
· The activities of the “Electrical Club” for the academic year 2013-14, were inaugurated on 2nd September 2013, by Mr. Vinod Kumar, Assistant Professor and H.O.D in the Department of Electrical Engineering Dr. M.V.Shetty Institute of Technology, Moodbidri. Office bearers Electrical Club for the academic year 2013-14 are:
Co-ordinator: Mr. Harish Tantri Lecturer E&E
President: Mr. Ashlesh, III DEE
Vice President: Miss.Shyamily II DEE
Secretary: Mr. Guruprasad, III DEE
Joint Secretary: Floyd Tauro II DEE
Treasurer: Mr. Yatheendra III DEE
· On the occasion of “Teachers’ Day Celebrations 2013” our Students’Council organized few competitions and entertainment programmes to the staff members on 5th September 2013. This programme was followed by refreshments to all the staff members and to the office bearers, arranged by the Students Council. Student Council had organized a cricket tournament to the staff members on 4th September 2013. Teachers' day celebration marked new memorable moments among both the staff and students of the campus. The zeal and enthusiasm of the Students Council created a new hope and confidence by their creative and disciplined way of organizing such events.
· Activities of Electronic Club for this academic year were inaugurated by Mr. M.Sadakath, H.O.D. of Physics, Alvas’ Pre University College, Moodbidri on 10th September 2013 .Mr.J.J.Pinto, Principal, presided over the function. The Office bearers are :-
Chair Person : Mrs. Rajeshwari K.N., H.O.D.of E&C Engg.
President : Mr. Azharuddin
Secretary : Mr. Prakash K.,
Joint Secretary: Mr.Prasanna
Treasurer : Mr. Mohan
Co- Ordinator : Mr.Chandra K.H.., Lecturer in E&C Engg.,
· Our students participated in the various cultural competititons held at Samaja Mandira Sabha organized by Sarvajanika Sri Ganeshotsava Samithi, Moodbidri.
· Miss. Vijayalaxmi of I D.C.S participated in the “Mehendi Competititon” organized by Sarvajanika Sri Ganeshotsava Samithi, Moodbidri, held on 10 th September 2013 and secured third prize.
· Our students participated in the “Quiz Competition “organized jointly by Kodagu, Dakshina Kannada and Udupi Engineers’ Association (KDKUEA), and the Institute of Engineers (India), Mangalore held on 11th September 2013 at Karnataka Polytechnic, Mangalore. Mr. Prakash, Mr.Melroy James Sequeira of 3rd DE&E, Mr.Chethan Devadiga of 3rd DME., Mr. Keethiraj H.L. of 3rd DCE., have participated secured first place. On this occasion a batch of students of final year DE&E, namely, Mr. Ashlesh, Mr. Yatheendra, Mr. Gruruprasad Rao, and Mr. Mohan Kumar bagged second place in the “ Do it Yourself Competition”.
· The M.T.X club had organized a “Techno Collage competition” on 13th of September 2013.
· The inauguration of the activities of “Yantra Club” for the academic year 2013-14 was held on 14th September 2013. Mr.N Venkatesh, Asst.Professor, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Canara Engineering College was the Chief Guest. Principal Mr.J.J.Pinto presided. The Office bearers are:
Chair Person: Mr. Suresh Bhandary, H.O.D., Dept. of Mechanical Engg.
President: Mr. Sharan D., III DME.
Vice President: Mr. Mr.Sourabh Bhat, II D.ME.
Secretary: Mr. Mr.Sanath, III D.M.E.
Joint Secretary: Mr.Roydon Fernandes, I D.M.E.
Treasurer: Mr.Preyash M., II D.M.E.
Cultural Secretary: Akarsh Shetty M.S., III D.M.E.
Co- Ordinator : Mr.M.Guruprasad Prabhu, Lecturer in Mech. Engg
· Our students have participated in the “Do It Yourself -2013 “Technical Model Competition jointly organized by Kodagu, Dakshina Kannada and Udupi Engineers’ Association (KDKUEA), and the Institute of Engineers (India), Mangalore to be held on 15th September 2013 at Bejai Church Hall, Bejai, Mangalore.
· The activities of “Computech” Club were inaugurated on 20th September 2013 by Dr.S.P.Gurudas, Lecturer, E&C Engineering. Sri Krishnaraja S., H.O.D. of Computer Science Engg is the Co-Ordinator.
· The activities of the “ARIVA” (Civil Club) were inaugurated by Mr. B. Durgaprasad Baliga, H.O.D. of Civil Engineering, Alvas’ Institute of Technology, Moodbidri on 21th September 2013.
· The MTX Club had organized a Technical Quiz Competition on 26th September 2013. About 40 teams enrolled for this competition.
· The members and office bearers of the M.T.X.Club organized a Technical Paper Presentation Competition on 3rd October 2013, on the subject “Recent Advances in Technology.”
· Ayudha Pooja was celebrated on 12th October 2013. On this occasion Department wise Mantap Decoration Competitions and Rangoli Competitions were held to the students of all branches. In the Mantap Decoration Competition, Departmet of Electronics & Communication Engineering, Dept of Automobile Engineering and Department of Mechatronics Engineering secured first, second and third prizes respectively. Miss. Anusha Y & Miss. Shreedevi of I DE&E, secured first prize, Miss.Kausalya of I DE&C secured second prize and Miss.Prajna H.N., and Mr.Abhishek of III DE&C secured third prize in the Rangoli competition.
· On account of Annual Day we have conducted various competions to the students. The department wise “Talents Day Competition” was held on 28th February 2014 to the students of all the 7 branches. Prof.Madhur Mohan Kalluraya, H.O.D. of Kannada, Smt. Thejashwi Bhat, Lecturer in Sanskrit, Sri Mahaveera College and Sri Ramachandra Acharya, J.T.O., A.G.Soans Industrial Training Institute were the Judges for these competitions. Dept of Automobile Engg, Department E&E Engg and Dept of E&C Engg secured first, second and third prizes respectively.
- Extensive Survey Project:
As per the curriculum, sixth semester students of Civil Engineering, have taken up an extensive survey project near Shri Harihareshwara Temple, Durga, Karkala Taluk, Udupi District from 9th December 2013 to16th December 2013. Nineteen students of Civil Engg accompanied by four faculty members of Department of Civil Engineering have successfully conducted the survey camp. I thank Sri Padmanabha Marathe, Annapoorna Mandira Durga, for providing food, accommodation and making necessary arrangements to our staff and students during the survey project. Sri Ganesh Bhat, H.O.D. of Civil Engineering is the Co-ordinator of this survey project.
- Technical Project Exhibition Competititon held:
Kaushalyam-2014, a Technical Project Exhibition was held in our Polytechnic on 14th 15th and 17th February 2014. The inaugural function of “SNMP Innovation Club and Kaushalyam - 2014 Technical Project Exhibition Competition” was held on Friday, the 14th February 2014. Dr.Niranjan Chiplunkar, Principal of N.M.A.M. Institute of Technology, Nitte inaugurated the Innovation Club and Kaushalyam 2014. About 116 technical models prepared by our students of all branches were exhibited on this occasion. In co-operation with the Block Educational Officer, we invited the students of local High Schools. More than 6500 High School students visited this exhibition. We obtained positive feed back from the visiting students as well as from the accompanying teachers. Dr. S.P.Gurudas, Lecturer in E&C Engg was the Co-ordinator of our Innovation Club. Sri Subrahmanya B., Selection Grade Lecturer in Computer Science Engg, Sri Nayan Kumar, Selection Grade Lecturer in Mechanical Engg, N.R.A.M. Polytechnic, Nitte, Sri Diwakar Shetty, Selection Grade Lecturer in Mechanical Engg, S.N.S.Polytechnic, Sunkadakatte, Sri Durgaprasad Baliga, H.O.D. of Civil Engg, Alvas Institute of Technology, Mijar, Sri Jayaram Shettigar, Principal, A.G.Soans Industrial Training Institute, Moodbidri, Sri Satheesha K.M., Lecturer in E&C Engg, Karnataka Polytechnic, Mangalore were the judges for these competitions.
- Industrial Visit:
As part of the curriculum the final year Diploma students of all branches visited various industries in Bangalore and Mysore. A batch of students of final year Diploma in Automobile Engineering accompanied by faculty member Sri Yashwanth Moolya visited various industries between 17th to 22 nd December 2013. Final year Diploma students of Mechatronics Engineering accompanied by Sri Varun Kumar, Lecturer in Mechatronics Engg visited various industries between 24thto 28th January 2014. A batch of 44 students of Diploma in Electrical & Electronics Engg, accompanied by three faculty members visited Varahi Hydro Electric Power Plant and Maani Dam on 21st February 2014
N.S.S Activities : -
The activities of N.S.S unit for the year 2013-2014 were inaugurated by Mr Praveen Kumar, Asst.Professor, Dept. of Political Science, and N.S.S.Officer, Sri Mahaveera First Grade College. Mr.J.J.Pinto, Principal presided over the function.
Mr.Ramprasad M., Lecturer in E&E Engineering is appointed as the N.S.S programme Officer of our N.S.S. unit from this academic year. Mr.Varun Kumar Lecturer in Mechatronics Engineering, Mr Gopalakrishna, Lecturer in Civil Engineering, and Mr. Raghavendra Rao, Helper, Department of E&C Engineering provided assistance to the programme officer. Mr.Gururaj of III DE&C, and Mr.Thrishul of III DE&E, Miss.Anusha of III DE&E Miss. Pratheeksha of III DE&C are the unit leaders.
The annual special camp of N.S.S. for this academic year was held from 5th December 2013 to 11th December 2013 at Jawaharalal Nehru High School, Shirthady, Mangalore Taluk. Mr. S.D.Sampath Samrajya, Vice President of Governing Council of S.N.M.Polytechnic, and President of Jawahar Vidya Sangha, Shirthady inaugurated the Special Camp on 5th December 2013. The Valedictory function was held on 11th December 2013. Mr. M.Sanjayanth Kumar Shetty, Retd. Headmaster, and Secretary of Jawahar Vidya Sangha, delivered the valedictory speech.
About 50 N.S.S volunteers had a treckking programme near Chickmagalur on 6th March 2014. Our students were accompanied by Sri J.J.Pinto, Principal, Sri Ramprasad M., N.S.S. Programme Officer, and faculty members Sri Varun Kumar, Sri Ramesh Rao B., Sri Uttam P.U., Sri Gopalakrishna K.S., Sri Arul Leonard Miranda, Sri Rajendra K., Sri Krishanaraja, Mrs.Jyothi, Mrs.Divya and non teaching staff members Sri Harish Bhat and Sri Raghavendra Rao.
Our N.S.S.Volunteers Mr.Gururaj of III DE&C, Mr.Ashwath of III DAE, Mr.Ajay of II DMC, Mr.Dixith of I DE&E, Miss.Anusha Y. III DE&E Miss.Anusha II DE&C Miss. Vidya I DE&C Miss. Harshitha I DE&E, accompanied by Sri Ramprasad M., N.S.S.Programme Officer, attended a two days workshop on “Creative Leadership” held on 8th and 9th March 2014, at K.V.G.Polytechnic, Sullia.
Inauguration of Indian Red Cross Unit at SNMP:
As per the directions of D.T.E, the inauguration of Indian Red Cross Unit at SNMPolytechnic was held on 13th March 2014. Sri Santhosh Peter D’Souza, Member, Indian Red Cross Society, Mangalore Dist. inaugurated the Red Cross Unit. Sri Ramesh Rao B., Lecturer in Civil Engg is the Co-ordinator.
Achievements in Sports & Games:
Annual Sports meet for this academic year was held at Sri Mahaveera College G.V.Pai Memorial Stadium on 8th February 2014. Sri Yuvaraja Jain, Chairman of Excellent Science & Commmerce Pre University College, Kallabettu, Moodbidri inaugurated the Sports Meet. I would like to thank the Incharge N.C.C Officer of Sri Mahaveera College Sri Yeshwanth, Lectuer, Dept. of Computer Science, the N.C.C. unit of Sri Mahaveera College, Sri Dhananjaya Kumar, Principal, the students of M.K.Anantharaj D.P.Ed., and all the teaching, non-teaching staff members and all the students for their kind co-operation during the meet, and for the participation. I place on record the services of Mr. Imran Khan A, Lecturer in English, and Mr. Rohith Kumar, Instructor Dept of Mechanical Engg for shouldering and conducting the annual sports meet smoothly in the capacity of Sports In-charge. Our students have performed very well during this sports meet. On behalf of the management, staff and students, I congratulate all the participants for their achievement.
Our students participated in the “37th State Level Inter Polytechnic Sports Meet ” held on 1st and 2nd March 2014 at Govt Polytechnic for Women, Mangalore. Our students participated in the various sports events and have bagged prizes. Mr. Ganesh Prasad of II DAE secured the 2nd place in High Jump for men; Miss.Pratima of 3rd DEC secured 3rd Place in 400mtrs. Race for women, and Mr. Durga Prasad of 3rd DEC secured 3 rd Place in 100mtrs.Race for men.
Mr. Adithya A .V. of 3rd DCE has participated in the National Level Kho - Kho Tournament held at Calicut. He also participated in the State Level Kho- Kho Tournament held at Bhadravati and bagged the 1st Place.
Mr. Sharil Kumar of 3rd DEC participated in the National Level Weight Lifting Competition held at Mangalpady, Uppala, Kerala State and secured 3rd place in Karnataka Division. He has also participated in the National Level Weight Lifting Competition held at Kannur, Kerala and secured 2 nd Place in the South Zone, 1st Place in the Division Wise; he secured 3rd place in the weight Lifting Competion held at Udupi.
Semester examinations held at this centre.
· The even semester examinations of 2013 were held during the months of April & May 2013. The theory examinations were held between 29th April to 15th May, and the practical examinations were held between 15th to 23rd May 2013.
· Sri H.R.Jagadeesh, Selection Grade Lecturer in Civil Engg Polytechnic, S.N.S.(Aided)Polytechnic, Sunkadakatte, Bajpe was the Deputy Chief Superintendent of Examinations and Sri Ravindranatha K.B., Selection Grade Lecturer in Mechanical Engg, K.V.G (aided) Polytechnic, Sullia was the Chief Observer of Examinations to conduct the semester examinations of April/ May 2013. Sri H.R.Jagadeesh, Selection Grade Lecturer in Civil Engg Polytechnic, S.N.S.(Aided) Polytechnic, Sunkadakatte, Bajpe was also the Observer for the verification of the Internal Assessment marks in connection with the Semester (Apr/May) 2013 examinations.
· The odd semester examinations of 2013 were held during the months of Nov/ Dec 2013. The practical examinations were held between 6th to 16 th November and the theory examinations were held between 18th November to 4th December 2013.
· Sri Ajith Kumar K.G., Selection Grade Lecturer in E&C Engineering, N.R.A.M. Polytechnic, Nitte, was the Deputy Chief Superintendent and Sri B.N.Kumbar, Selection Grade Lecturer in Library Science, Govt. Polytechnic for women, Mangalore was the Chief Observer of Examinations to conduct the semester examinations of Nov/ Dec 2013. Sri B.N.Kumbar, Selection Grade Lecturer in Library Science, Govt.Polytechnic for women, Mangalore was also the Observer for the verification of the Internal Assessment marks in connection with the Semester (Nov/ Dec) 2013 examinations.
Sessional examinations held:-
The periodical internal assessment tests are held in the Polytechnic. In the odd semester, we have conducted three sessional examinations during the months of August, September and October 2013, and in the even semester two sessional examinations are held during January and February 2014. I thank Sri Suresh D B. Lecturer, Automobile Engineering and his team for coordinating and shouldering the responsibility of activities related to Internal Assessment tests successfully.
Naional Festivals held in the Campus:
· On the occasion of “Independence day” the flag hoisting ceremony was held on 15th August 2013. Sri Shankar Bhat, PTA President Sri Shankar Bhat hoisted the flag at Sri Mahaveera College.
· On the occasion of “Republic day ” the Flag Hoisting ceremony was held at Sri Mahaveera College on 26th January 2014. Prof.G.N.Bhat, Retd Principal of Sri Bhuvanendra College, Karkala and Ex Member of S.M.C.Trust, Moodbidri hoisted the flag.
Official visit of Accounts Officer
The Accounts Officer (Bills) Department of Technical Education, Bangalore along with his team of Accounts officers visited this Polytechnic for the verification and audit of the Govt aided courses during the third week of August 2013.
Official visit of Inspection Committee:-
An inspection committee headed by Sri G.Shreekanth, Deputy Director (INS), Department of Technical Education, Bangalore, along with the team members Sri B.Jayaraj, Asst. Director (ACM), Sri Raghavendra Prasad P., Assistant Director (INS), and Sri Mohammed Ansar, Assist. Director (Exams), visited our Polytechnic on 4th February 2013 for the affiliation by the D.T.E., for the year 2013-14 and for the extension of AICTE.’s approval for the year 2014-15.
Seminars and Conferences held
· A workshop on “ dowsing ” was held on 25th September 2013. Our Trustees, Mr. H. Premanand Prabhu and Dr. L. C. Soans were the resource persons. More than 50 students and staff members participated.
· The Department of Technical Education, Bangalore has conducted a two weeks training programme on “ Instructional Design & Delivery System (IDDS) through Webcast Mode ” in our Polytechnic to the faculty members in co-operation with the National Institute of Technical Teachers Training and Research, Chennai from 17th February to 3rd March 2014. Totally 28 faculty members attended this programme. 11 staff members from our Polytechnic, and 5 staff members from N.R.A.M. Polytechnic, Nitte, 3 staff members from Government Polytechnic for Women, Karkala, 2 each staff members from S.N.S.Polytechnic, Sunkadakatte and S.D.M. Polytechnic, Ujire, 4 staff members from Prasanna Polytechnic, Ujire, one staff member from Dr.T.M..A.Pai Polytechnic, Manipal, altogether 28 faculty members attended this training programnme. Sri J.J.Pinto, Principal was the Co-ordinator. This programme conducted smoothly in the A.V.Hall, with the co-operation by our staff members both teaching and non teaching staff members.
Building construction activities.
· The old library room in the main block is converted into A.V. Hall for conducting the classes of “ edusat programme ” to our students of all the branches. This hall is set up with the necessary arrangements for the EDUSAT.
· The National Institute of Technical Teachers Training and Research, Chennai has considered this Polytechnic as one of the Nodal Centre for conducting the training programmes through Webcast Mode. In order to facilitate for such training programmes in this institution and in order to conduct the sessions to the faculty members through webcast mode, necessary equipments/ furniture were purchased.
Free Midday Meals:-
This year 43 economically poor and deserving students from all branches are provided with free mid-day meals. During this academic year we have received the financial assistance of Rs.58,281/- from the well wishers of our Polytechnic, towards this noble cause. The following are the donors for this free midday meal facility.
Name & address of the Donors
Sri B. Ramachandra Achar, Retd.Professor, Panchami, Kodangallu, Moodbidri (D.K) -574197
Sri Premnath Marla, Prithvi Services, Panchami Complex, Moodbidri
Uniform Committee of S.N.M.Polytechnic, Moodbidri
Smt. Meera Kini, Near Old Police Station, Moodbidri
Mrs. Jyothi, Lecturer in E&C Engg, S.N.M.Polytechnic, Moodbidri
Sri Rajendra Pai, Aramane Road, Moodbidri -574227
Sri Abulal, Vishwas Rolling Shutters, Kadalkere, Moodbidri
Sri Sadananda Mallya, Sri Maruthi Agricultural Stores, Moodbidri
Mr.Shrikanth Kamath, Navadurga Industries, Sacheripete-576128 Mundkur Village, Karkala Taluk, Udupi District 576128
M/s Bedra Friends, C/o New Padiwals Restaurant, Moodbidri
Sri Joylus D Souza S/o E.A.Dsouza, Puchemogaru Village,Taccode Post, Moodbidri
Sri M.Guruprasad Prabhu, Lecturer in Mechanical Engg, S.N.M.Polytechnic, Moodbidri
Sumithra & Sundara Shetty, (Parents of Miss.Nanda Shetty) Darkas House, Bajegoli Post, Karkala Taluk, Udupi District.
Ms.Sindhu D/o Vijay Kumar,"Vijaya", Kotebagilu, Moodbidri 574227 (D.K)
Generous Donations Received:
An old student of Polytechnic Mr. Sandeep M.Bhandary, Partner M/s. Karavali Switch Gears, Mangalore has donated an amount of Rs.55, 000/- towards the developmental activities of this Polytechnic. On behalf of our Managaement, staff and students I am thankful to Mr.Sandeep M.Bhandary for generous guesture and for his support extended to the alma mater.
Donation towards the Prime Ministers’ Relief Fund :
An amount of Rs.14,775/- was received from the staff members and the students of our Polytechnic towards the Prime Ministers’ Relief Fund for the Uttarakhand Flood Victims. This amount was handed over to the Tahsildar, Moodbiri.
· The Labour Welfare Organisaton, Bangalore has sanctioned Beedi Scholarship of Rs.3,000/- each to approximately 210 students for the academic year 2012-13, by crediting the amount directly to the individual accounts of the beneficiary students.
· The Karnataka Minorities Development Corporation Ltd., Bangalore has sanctioned an educational loan of Rs.5,000/- each to two students belonging to minority communities.
· The Karnataka Labour Welfare Board (PÀ£ÁðlPÀ PÁ«ÄðPÀ PÀ¯Áåt ªÀÄAqÀ½), Bangalore has sanctioned a scholarship of Rs.2000/- each to three students.
· The Taluk Social Welfare Officer, Mangalore has sanctioned Govt of India Post Matric Scholarship of Rs.67,920/- towards the scholars belonging to Scheduled Caste/ Scheduled Tribe.
· The Department of Technical Education, Bangalore has sanctioned fee concession of Rs 15,320/- for the academic year 2012-13.
· The District Backward Communities Welfare Officer, Mangalore has sanctioned fee concession amount of Rs.12,92,630/- for the last three academic years from 2009-10, 2011-12 and 2012-13.
· During this academic year 301 students of our Polytechnic have applied to the Department of Backward Communities, Govt of Karnataka, for the financial assistance for the food & accommodation, fees concession under the “Vidya Siri Yojana” Scholarship Schme.
Cash Prizes Sponsored by our Donors:
· S.D.Samrajya Memorial Cash Award of Rs. 2,500/- awarded to the best out going student of S.N.M.Polytechnic for the academic year 2013-14. This award is sponsored by his sons Sri Shirthady Sampath Samrajya, and Sri Shrithady Sushanth Samrajya.
· Sri T.N.Balipa has sponsored “Amarnath Jain Memorial Cash Prize” to the meritorious student of 6th semester E&E student based on his academic performance.
· Sri Sudarshan M., our old student, sponsored a Cash Prize in memory of Late. Mr.Sunil Kumar, Ex-H.O.D., Department of Computer Science & Engineering, to the meritorious student of Computer Science & Engineering Department.
· Sri P.V.Bhat, Ex Principal, sponsored a Cash Prize to the meritorious student of this academic year.
· Sri K.M.Bhat, Ex Lecturer in the Department of Electrical & Electronics Engineering has sponsored Cash Prizes to the meritorious students of Electrical & Electronics Engineering branch.
· Sri Mohammed Sharief, Ex- Lecturer in the Department of Mechanical Engineering has sponsored Cash Prize to the meritorious students of Mechanical Engineering branch.
· Sri Venkatesha Prabhu M., H.O.D.of Science & Maths has sponsored Cash Prizes of Rs.5,000/- each to 2 students,who have scored 100% marks (100/100) in Mathematics in both first and second semester during the academic year 2012-13, which amounts to Rs.10,000/-.
· Sri Venkatesha Prabhu M., H.O.D.of Science & Maths has also sponsored Cash Prizes of Rs.1000/- each to 16 students, who have scored 100% marks (100/100) in Mathematics, which amounts to Rs.16,000/-.
· Smt. Shobha S. Hegde, Proprietor, Manjushree Driving School, Moodbidri has sponsored a gift to the Lucky Staff of our Polytechnic.
· Sri Dhananjaya Kumar, Proprietor, Sri Mahaveera College Stores, Moodbidri has sponsored a cash prize to the Best Sports Performer of our College.
· Sri Radhakrishna Bhat, staff member of our Polytechnic has sponsored a Cash Prize of Rs.500/- to the Lucky student of this institution.
· Smt. Sowmya M.J., Librarian has sponsored Cash Prize of Rs.3000/- to be given to three economically poor and meritorious students of first year Diploma students, based on their academic performance.
· Sri Suresh D.B., Lecturer in Automobile Engineering has sponsored a cash prize of Rs.1000/- to the first year Diploma student of Automobile Engineering branch, who secures highest marks in his subject “ Automobile Engines ” .
Placement assistance to the Diploma holders through Campus interviews:
Campus recruitment drives are held for the employment of students of this Polytechnic regularly. A pooled in campus interview was held on 17th December 2013, by L & T Constructions for the final year Diploma students of Automobile, Mechanical, Civil, Electrical & Electronics Engineering branches through online tests. About 150 students from nearby Polytechnics including this Polytechnic attended the interview.
The L&T Technology Services conducted an interview on 21st January 2014, for the students of Automobile and Mechancial Engineering branches. About 140 students of nearby Polytechnics including our’s attended the interview.
Mr.Jayaram, Divisional Manager (HR), and Mr.Sandeep Mohanti, Head of Talent Acquision, Tata Motors, Dharwad conducted a campus interview on 21st January 2014, to the final year Diploma students of Automobile, Mechancial, Mechatronics, Civil, and Electrical & Electronics Engg branche for seclection of candidates for appointment. . About 400 students from nearby Polytechnics and from this Polytechnic attended the interview.
A few students of our Polytechnic are selected for appointments by various Organisations in the pooled in campus interviews held during 2013-14. Mr.Arunraj, Mr. Naveen Poojary, Mr.Sharath Kumar, Mr.Shubharaj K., Mr.Sujith Bangera, Mr.Santhosh Naik from Automobile Engineering branch are selected for the appointment at M/s Toyota Kirlokar. Mr. Neelesh, Mr.Chethan Devadiga, Mr.Deekshith from Mechancial Engineering branch, Mr.Ashlesh, Mr.Kishan Kumar from Electrical & Electronics Engg branches, Mr. Naveen and Mr.Jayaraj J.Acharya from Automobile Engineering branch are selected for the appointment atTata Motors Limited.
Maintenance of discipline
Utmost precautions have been taken for the maintenance of discipline in this institution.
As directed by the Director of Technical Education, Bangaore we have formed various Committees for the maintenance of disciplince in the institution.
- Sexual Harrassment Committee is formed to protect women against sexual abuse or any such menaces in the campus.
- Anti- Ragging Committee is formed to curb ragging in the campus. Every student is made to give an undertaking.
· In order to proactively take up women’s issues to ensure safe, and secure women friendly atmosphere in the institutiton, we have established A Committee on Women’s Security, Welfare and Grievance Redressal.
· An Ombudsman Grienvance Committee is formed in our Polytechnic.
· A committee for dress code is formed in the Polytechnic. Members of staff headed by Sri. Harish Tantry oversees the dress code.
· A committee for the issue of identity cards to students is formed with Sri Sushanth G.Hegde K., as the Co-ordinator of this Committee.
A Committee comprising of staff and student representatives is formed to monitor and take appropriate actions to provide quality, hygienic food and bevearages at nominal price. The committee meets on 1st of every month to discuss the various issues pertaining this.
Most of our old students are well settled. These old students mirror our Polytechnic at the world of work. These students have formed an alumni association which is very active. The Office bearers of this association meet regularly.
The office bearers of Alumni association are:
- President – Sharath J Shetty
· Vice-President – Shruthanjan Jain
- Secretary – Nagaraj Kamath
- Treasurer – Chandra K H
- Joint Secretary - Sudarshan
· Organising Secretary – Uttam P U
· Sports Secretary – Ramprasad M and Rohith Kumar
Most of our old students are working in various reputed Companies in Bangalore and hence we have a regional alumni association in Bangalore. Today’s guest, Mr.Krishna Anand M.K., is one of the active members of this association. I am very confident that our alumni will support us in the noble endeavour of making this Polytechnic as one of the model Polytechnics in the state in the years to come.
I thank the officials of All India Council for Technical Education, New Delhi, for extending their approval for the year 2013-14. I thank Sri H.U.Talwar, Director of Technical Education, Bangalore for the admission approval for this academic year and for extending the affiliation to our institution, and I also thank Sri Ananda Poojary, Secretary, Board of Technical Examinations, Bangalore who retired on 31st Jan 2014 for the support and co-operation to conduct Semester examinations at this exam Centre. I thank Sri. R Manjunath, Secretary, for extending his support in the smooth functioning of academic activities. I thank Sri Umapathy, Programme Co-ordinator, National Service Scheme, D.T.E.,Bangalore for his guidance, co-operation for conducting the N.S.S.regular activities as well for conducting the annual special camp. I also thank the Officials of Department of Technical Education, and other Officials of Govt of Karnataka, Bangalore for the release of the funds towards the salary of our staff members. I thank the Director and faculties of N.I.T.T.T.R. Chennai, for conducting various training programmes to our staff during this academic year. A special thanks to Prof. Jagath Rakshakan for the support in the conduction of webcast mode of training.
I would like to thank Sri Sampath Samrajya and his brother, Sri T.N.Balipa, Sri Venkatesha Prabhu M., Sri P.V.Bhat, Sri K.M.Bhat, Sri Mohammed Sharief, Sri Sudarshan M., Mrs. Sowmya M.J., Mr.Suresh D.B., Dept.of Sainik Welfare and Resettlement, Labour Welfare Organisation, Bangalore, Taluk Social Welfare Officer, Mangalore, and Karnataka Minorities Development Corporation, Department of Minorities, Bangalore for sponsoring the scholarships/ proficiency prizes/ education loans to our students. On behalf of all the beneficiaries of free mid-day meals I thank all the donors of midday meal fund, for extending their support towards this noble cause. Once again I would like to thank Sri H.U.Talwar, Director of Technical Education, Sri Ananda Poojary, Secretary of Board of Technical Examinations, Sri Umapathy, N.S.S. Co-ordinator Department of Technical Education, Bangalore for their co-operation, all the donors of the N.S.S. annual camp, and all others who have helped us directly or indirectly to conduct N.S.S. activities, extensive survey project etc. I am also thankful to Mr. Sandeep M.Bhandary, an old student of our Polytechnic for his generous donation. I thank Mrs. Shobha Hegde, Proprietor, Manjushree Driving School, for his gift to the “ Lucky Staff ” and Sri Radhakrishna Bhat, a staff member of our Polytechnic for his gift to the “ Lucky Student ” of this academic year. I thank Mr. Dhananjaya Shetty, Proprietor, Sri Mahaveera College Stores, and Moodbidri for recognizing best sports performer of our college with a cash prize. I thank all the well-wishers of our institution.
Before I conclude it is my ardent duty to thank my team of SNMP for providing me a condusive atmosphere for teaching/ learning at this Polytechnic. Every staff member both teaching & non teaching, have walked along with me towards our destination of making this Polytechnic to this level, I would like to mention a few names of my colleagues who have shouldered various responsibilities in smooth functioning of this Polytechnic.
* Mr. Suresh D.B. - Student Welfare Officer and Internal Assessment Coordinator.
* Dr.S.P.Gurudas- Coordinator - Koushalyam 2014 and Innovation Club.
* Mr.Imran Khan A. - Coordinators for Sports and evening classes for hostel boys.
* Mr.R. Ganeshan – Resident Warden, Boys Hostel and Co-ordinator for Drafting time table and remedial classes.
*Mallikarjuna G – Editor & Coordinator, Magazine committee
*Vishwanath K – Coordinator EDUSAT
* Mr.Ramprasad M., - N.S.S.Programme Officer, and Coordinator - website.
* Mr. Harish Tantri M., Coordinator - dress code.
* Mrs.Jyothi – Placement Officer.
* Mrs. Noronha Tarina Rita- Coordinator Spoken Tutorial, Free open Source Software and Drafting Polytechnic Calender of events.
* Mrs. Rajeshwari K.N. - Coordinator- academic review committee.
* Mr. Krishnaraja coordinator - Internt connectivity.
* Mrs.Vidya Y.M.- Assisting me in coordinating webcast training.
* Mr.Ramesh Rao B., Coordinator – Youth Indian Red Cross Unit.
* Mr.Arul Leonard Miranda, Coordinator - Photography Club.
*Mr.Rohith Kumar M.- For Assisting in sports activities.
* Mr.Anil Pinto- System Administrator.
* Mr. Surendra Kava – Staff secretary
* Mrs.Sowmya M.J.,and Mrs. Poornima for providing friendly environment in the Library and for the patience to deal with our demanding students.
* All the academic advisors for taking keen interest in the progress of students.
* All the non-teaching staff members for their co-operation in all the activities.
Before concluding this report, I would like to thank the President of our Trust Sri Ramdas M. Pai and all the members of the Trust who are readily accessible for every help & advice to our institution. I thank Honourable Minister, Youth Services & Fisheries, Chairman of our Governing Council, Sri K.Abhayachandra Jain, Dr. H S Ballal, President & Secretary, Academy of General Education, Manipal, Sri P.S.Bhat and Sri. H Udayashankar Prabhu, Treasurers, S.M.C. Trust, Sri. S D Sampath Samrajya, Dy. Chairman, Governing Council, Prof.H.Chandrashekhar Dixit, Secretary, S.M.C.Trust, members of the Governing Council Dr.L.C.Soans, Dr.H.Shantharam, Sri. K R Pandith, C H Abdul Gafoor, the Principal, Karnataka Polytechnic, Mangalore, for their guidance and co-operation in each & every aspects of our endeavour to grow. I recognize the selfless and sincere services of all my colleagues, both teaching and non-teaching, without their unstinted support and team work this would not have been possible. I will be failing in my duty if I do not mention the co-operation and disciplined attitude of the office bearers of our students’ council and all the students of this Polytechnic. Thanks are due to the office bearers, and all the members of our Alumni Association.
Also I pray for the health and happiness of all those who have directly or indirectly helped us in the development of this institution.
Thank you all,